Reports To: Chief Executive Officer
The Controller is responsible for overseeing the daily operations of the accounting department, including general ledger and financial reporting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, asset management, banking, payroll, and expense reimbursement. The Controller ensures the company’s financial functions are organized, efficient, and produce accurate and timely financial and management information.
- Performs or oversees the performance of billing invoices, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable and payroll (including taxes), including keeping accurate payroll records and reporting.
- Maintains GAAP compliant financial statements, account reconciliations, documentation, and an effective internal control environment.
- Ensures completion of month-end close process in a timely manner.
- Assists executives in analysis of month-end reports/KPIs, recurring business reporting, and strategic analyses and input relating to the firm’s business and profitability.
- Works collaboratively with practice leaders and executive management to assist a growing business in evaluating and enhancing performance through metrics, cost, revenue and financial analysis.
- Develops initiatives and strategies to optimize costs and improve internal and external reporting. Works with executive team to ensure timely and accurate budgeting and forecasting; planning and monitoring; financial modelling.
- Maintains accounting records on fixed assets and depreciation.
- Manages firm tax filings and annual audit process, including any inquiries/communications with tax authorities.
- Provides backup to all accounting functions/staff.
- Creates, maintains, and executes processes and procedures related to the Accounting department.
- Manages and trains all Accounting staff.
- Works collaboratively in a team environment. Displays excellent communication skills including presentation, persuasion, and negotiation skills required in working with customers, coworkers and vendors and including the ability to communicate effectively and remain calm and courteous under pressure.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Skills and Competencies
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university; and 10 plus years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proven track record of financial leadership including high integrity, excellent communication skills and ability to adapt quickly to a changing business landscape.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common financial reports and legal documents. Ability to respond to common accounting-related inquiries from customers, regulatory agencies, and vendors. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information to top management.
- Ability to perform simple (e.g., discounts, interest, commissions, percentages) and complex (e.g., profit and contribution margin of various business units, IRR of projected investments) financial analyses based on a deep understand accrual and cash accounting.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Cost accounting/analysis experience strongly recommended.
- Ability to manage full cycle accounting as well as administration functions and provide guidance and leadership to a small accounting department.
To apply please email your resume to: email@example.com
About Bates Group:
Bates Group LLC has been a trusted partner to our financial services clients and their counsel for over 30 years, delivering superior quality and results on a cost-effective basis. Bates provides a comprehensive set of compliance, regulatory, and risk management products and consulting services along with continuing guidance and support tailored to the specific needs and requirements of our broker-dealer, IA, and hedge fund clients, with a special emphasis on conducting comprehensive reviews and testing of AML compliance programs.