Director of Finance and Operations
Reports To: President
Supervises: Accounting, Information Technology, and Business Support Staff
The Director of Finance and Operations reports to the President. This position will manage the firm's Accounting, Information Technology, and business support people, processes, and systems. The Director must have hands-on operations experience including managing, mentoring, coaching, and measuring success of staff and departmental work processes. They must be able to show a record of success leading and growing teams, be an effective communicator, be interested in technological innovation, and a natural problem solver who thrives in high-pressure, high-stress situations.
- Accountable for management of Accounting, IT, and other related business support staff/functions.
- Accountable for establishing an annual operations plan – objectives, strategies/activities based upon overall Company strategic plan focus for the year.
- Accountable for management of cash flow including A/R, A/P, cash balances/needs, etc.
- Accountable for accurate and timely reporting of the firm’s financial performance.
- Responsible for pipeline reporting, preparation of Board book materials, quarterly all staff meeting power point materials, and other ad hoc reporting, as needed.
- Accountable for annual financial budgeting, including process and timeline.
- Responsible for ongoing review and evaluation of Bates’ vendors and the firm’s spending rates.
- Signing authority of $25,000. Manage reimbursements, check signing, approval of ACHs and payroll.
- Provides compensation analysis support for Human Resources.
- Work to ensure that IT is supporting the needs of the business.
- Responsible for overseeing business reporting, and ensuring that all business practice areas have the information they need to analyze their businesses in terms of revenue, employee productivity, staffing, and strategy.
- Ensure that processes exist that minimize/eliminate errors in work product.
- Management of all client Master Service Agreements (MSAs).
- Management of all Statement of Work (SOW) processing/completion.
- Oversees gross margin analysis for custom projects, including monitoring and implementing rate increases, when needed/appropriate.
Skills and Competencies
- 10 years relevant industry experience – background in consulting or other professional services is preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Economics, Finance, Accounting, or other technical field, or equivalent experience.
- Must be an intrinsically motivated individual with deep attention to detail. Is comfortable editing/drafting written documents and conducting quantitative analyses.
- Financial/accounting functional knowledge – is skilled at financial statement analysis, and the creation of custom business analyses to help inform management decisionmaking.
- Experience working with information technology teams.
- Excel "power user."
- Acts in line with Bates’ core values: principled, accountable, connected to the client, independent, exhibits strong work ethic, provides quality services and products, values Bates’ employees, has fun, and values leadership.
Bates Group LLC has been a trusted partner to our financial services clients and their counsel for over 30 years, delivering superior quality and results on a cost-effective basis. Voted a Best Securities Litigation Consulting Firm by readers of the New York Law Journal and a 2017 NYLJ Hall of Fame service provider, Bates Group provides end-to-end solutions throughout the lifecycle of your legal, regulatory, and compliance matters. With a roster of over 165 financial industry and regulatory experts, Bates offers services in litigation consultation and testimony, regulatory and internal investigations, AML solutions and staffing, compliance solutions, forensic accounting, fraud and financial crimes investigations, damages and big data consulting.